A Tribute to Nurses

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Pet Peeve #2: Posers and Wannabes

Posers. Here's a news flash, folks. I don't care if you work in the medical field! I don't care if you're a Paramedic or a Fire-Fighter (no need to wear the shirt!) or a Nurses' Aid or a Physician or Nurse of any sort. When you're in Labor and Delivery, sorry, but you know nothing. You're "Mom" or "Dad." So here's a list of hints you Posers may find helpful:
  1. Don't wear scrubs. First of all you look like an idiot. Secondly, it makes me think you want to steal a baby. Finally, if you're doing it so that I'll ask you what you do - it ain't going to happen. Give it up.
  2. Don't offer to start the IV for me. I don't need an anticubital botch-up. I'm pretty darn good at my job and I guarantee I can do it better than you.
  3. Don't tell me you're a Nurse when you worked as a Nurses' Aid 43 years ago. I'm pretty sure that doesn't count... and I have no idea how that is relevant to the situation here.
  4. Please leave your half-cocked Internet knowledge at home. It's useless, mostly incorrect and incomplete. I actually do know what I'm talking about and am not impressed with poorly pronounced medical jargon (especially EPIDERMAL!)
  5. Don't tell me how to treat your wife's terrible pain when she has finally felt her first contraction. You're a Podiatrist, for God's sake, (yeah, you!). How about you give me a foot massage at the end of my shift?!
  6. I don't bring drugs any faster because you've worked in a hospital before or because you stick your head out the door, which I find oh, so threatening!
  7. Quit watching the Fetal Monitor! Do you really think you can interpret what you're seeing?! Quit or it's going off!
  8. Finally, I take great offense to the insinuation that I would treat you differently because of your (actual or perceived) profession.

0 comments: